Thursday, April 3, 2014

Simple Birthday Cards Using WPlus9 "Coming Up Roses" Stamp Set

Happy Doris Day day!! In honor of Doris Day's birthday, I am going to share some birthday cards.

Today I want to share with you two cards I created using WPlus9's "Coming Up Roses" stamp set.
I bought this set a couple weeks ago and was able to play a little this past weekend with it. It was so much fun!! I think this is going to be my new "go to" stamp set when I need a pretty card.


To start the process, I used the matching dies to cut roses and leaves out of heavy white card stock. I also die cut a vase out of tracing paper as I have misplaced a whole package of vellum. I am still flummoxed as to where I put it but tracing paper worked in a pinch.

I then stamped the rose stems, roses and the sentiment using Hero Arts and Paper Trey Ink's dye inks. Next I used a new technique that I learned in my Clean and Simple 3 Card class that I took a couple weeks ago. I used a Copic blender to lightly take some of the color off the ink to give it a more 3-D effect. Mine did not come out as well as the teacher's but since this is my first time utilizing this technique, I think I did pretty well.

My next step was to spray the card with silver and pink mist spray. I chose to use the mist as it was meant to be used AND also took the bottom out to "fling" more color in strategic places. I am a bit obsessed with mist spray at the moment and it has been used on a lot of my projects as of late.

Now it was time to assemble my card, which was easy peasy. I just took the roses and leaves I had die cut and stamped and layered them over the roses stamped on the card base with foam adhesive. To give the card even more pizazz, I adhered sequins in silver and pink to the front.

My second card is actually the first card I created. The only difference is that I didn't spray the mist spray on but flung it on using the actual mister taken out of the bottle. I also had to create a banner because my first attempt to stamp the sentiment ON the card went awry. (one reason I am not a one layer card girl-the sentiment is something I usually stamp last and something always goes wrong!!) I also only added one extra leaf rather then two. 

Bonus Card:
I am going to include the third card I created using this set too in this post. It is much different then the other two cards I created and I have to admit it is not my own design. I copied it from one of the WPlus9 designers, Lea Lawson. Her work is stunning!! You could take hours going through her blog. Lea's card was a bit more elegant then mine but I needed to make a quick birthday card and this fit the bill. 

Instead of using a cream card base, I used Lemon Yellow card stock from PTI. I then used yellow and white spritz on the card base. (The white is hard to see in the photo-I think I should have shaken the bottle up a bit more to get the pigment out too!) I stamped the two yellow sprigs of flowers at the top and the sentiment on the bottom. I wanted to make sure before I glued anything down that I didn't mess that up! 

Next I layered the stamped die cuts to the left, wrapped ombre floss around the card and adhered a blue button. My last step was to scatter sequins across the top. It is not as clean as Lea's card but I like how it came out. This will be going out to my Aunt tomorrow. I might actually be getting a card out in time for someone's birthday for a change. 

Well, that is all for now. Have a great day!!



Rose Cards

Yellow Card