Today I am sharing a card that I created for two challenges. The first was a sketch challenge from CAS(E) this Sketch and the second was a CASology challenge, which was to use the word "Flutter" as inspiration. Here is the card I created:
This card was a bit different for me. I rarely use such a bold patterned paper as a background for a card. I decided to step outside my comfort zone, though, and use a piece. Below is the sketch I used as a guide to the design.
When I saw this sketch, I knew immediately that I could utilize a bunch of die cuts I had floating around on my desk. Each of the strips were cut eons ago using a PTI die. I never cut the die apart so I die cut the middle of the patterned paper, adhered it to a white card base and slipped the colored strips inside the empty rows.
Next, I used an MFT banner die to cut a vellum banner, which I then stamped a sympathy sentiment on. I layered the sentiment banner underneath an aqua frame.
I die cut the butterfly out of a scrap piece of paper and adhered that to the front. I love this butterfly because it is so delicate. It is the perfect element for a sympathy card too. Actually, it is the same one that I used on this card last week.
My last step was to adhere three sequins to the front of my card. Once again, it was so easy to put together but it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do. I always take so long in making anything because I am constantly second guessing myself!!
Once again, I am entering this card into the following two challenges:
In other news, I worked on some homework this weekend for the online Copic Class I am taking. I definitely recommend it to anyone that has Copic markers. I have to admit that I am having a rough time with some of the coloring.
My first homework I am sharing is from lesson #4. It was how to shade flowers using different methods. On my worksheet, I practiced one shading method and the other I used a flicking method to color the image.
For my colors, I actually went to my Copic Pinterest board to try some color combinations that I have been dying to use. I like my coloring on the yellow, blue and lighter purple flowers. The darker purple I didn't really like all that much at first. I stopped coloring them mainly because I could not get my gel pen to work for the stamens and so it became muddy in the middle.
I also worked on Day #5's homework. Day 5 taught us how to shade skin tone and hair. Again, I used some colors gleaned from my Pinterest board to try out for both the skin tone and hair.
The first girl's hair was supposed to be a reddish/brown. I think it is an epic fail because the red did not blend into the brown the way I wanted it to. The hair technique on the first two practice faces I used a flicking method. I really like this and will be practicing this on some stamps that I own. The last image I like the skin tone but not how the hair came out. I did not have the right colored marker that was called for. I also am not loving the paper I am using. It is one that was recommended but I find that it bleeds more then some other papers that I used. I really didn't have a choice, though, because I had these images copied at Staples and they would not put my heavier card stock through the copier.
The last practice image is from Day #5 of class too. I am actually embarrassed to even post it because it was an EPIC fail.
Well, that is it for today. I thank you for stopping by and checking out my blog. Have a great night!!