Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer Card Class II, Week 3, Day 2 Homework

Is there really only three days, including today, left of this fabulous class? I am going to miss it!!

I had such fun with the technique I used for yesterday's homework and I made a huge MESS!! Embossing powder and powdered pearls (which I didn't even wind up using on my project) were everywhere. However, I did use products that I have not used in literally about five years. If you wondered, UTEE is a long lasting product.

I decided to use Jennifer McGuire's embossing technique the moment I saw her video. Die-cuts+heat embossing-what could be more fun? I started out by gluing two pieces of white card stock together like Jennifer said to do. I then die cut using the hexagon plate from PTI. At first I was going to use the negative as my base. I cut a piece of it off the whole with an exacto knife. I then I inked it up using VersaMark ink, holographic embossing powder, powdered pearls and eventually UTEE and heat embossed each layer. After it was done, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with it. So I started anew with the positive hexagon pieces.

First I stamped each hexagon in a different color using the two purples and the blue from the color scheme we were given yesterday. Next I used VersaMark ink and UTEE, heat embossing each tile them three times each. After I did all that work, I changed my mind AGAIN!! I originally wanted to do a Kraft card stock base and thought that the heat embossed tiles on white card stock would not look right on the Kraft background. So I die cut the hexagon plate from PTI again but out of a double layer of Kraft card stock. This was problematic because the card stock I was using did not want to cut right, even with a shim.

I stamped each hexagon, embossed them all and changed my mind for the fourth, and last time. I did not like the way the colors looked after being heat embossed on the Kraft. They were too dark and the plum purple looked ugly. I decided to use the light blue base for my card and use the white embossed tiles. By now, I was three hours into this project and if I  had stayed with the original idea, I would have been done already!!!

Below is what the final out come was. I really love how it looks.  My only wish it didn't take me four tries to get it right!!

If you look closely, you can see bits of the glitter from the holographic embossing powder that was randomly in the air as I was embossing the the hexagons. A bit annoying to me but the card is DONE!!

I think you can see the embossing a little better from this view. It looks shiny!!

I was going to finish the original card last night but just ran out of energy. I think this is my first card I have made for this class that hasn't had anything super dimensional on it!!

Thank you for looking!! Happy Wednesday!!

Close to Cocoa and Perfect Plum ink-Stampin Up!