I am very sad that this card class is ending. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. I also dug out supplies and used products that I had but hadn't pulled out in YEARS. It was good to get the creative juices flowing again, too. The only difficulty I had with the whole class was getting the homework in on time. I would have gotten a zero on most days if I was getting a grade!!!
For the last card we were supposed to use one of the additional color schemes that were posted. Once again the artists showed us some awesome techniques and made really cool cards.
I chose to use the brighter color scheme of white, 2 shades of green/blue, a red and an orange-yellow color create my card for this homework. I also decided to use a stamp I bought and had NEVER used, (very common for me to do, too, unfortunately) a layering technique I have seen but had never tried and Jennifer McGuire's technique of masking on sentiments to make them more then one color. I used a sketch I had made from a card I had seen somewhere else a long time ago for the actual design, so it is not original. This card was actually FUN for me after the struggle I had this week.
The first thing I did was die cut the window out of the polka dot paper using a PTI die and inked the edges and placed a strip of Washi tape on the bottom. I then stamped the frame in the orange-yellow color on a white piece of paper and trimmed it. I then used foam tape around the die cut window on the wrong side of the patterned paper and adhered the frame UNDER the paper.
Next I die cut another frame out of white paper and stamped the stitches in red and the sentiment in aqua mist and yellow. I die cut a heart and banner out of red. I then adhered the banner under the white, stamped piece and used foam adhesive to adhere it over the yellow frame. The little heart was then glued to the front of the sentiment window and I used Stickles to give it a little shine.
I then added some red and white sequins as a finishing touch.
Things I learned from this whole class:
- Color schemes really have a play in creating cards for me. I especially like bright, happy colors. I have more difficulty designing when the colors are muted.
- Learning new techniques if fun. I will be browsing blogs and You-Tube for more!!!
- Masking sentiments is my new "thing." I love the results!!
- I still dislike the mess of heat embossing but like some of the fun things you can do with it. I need to get some new powders, though, because my old ones just don't seem to be up to par with the newer brands that are out today.
- Watercoloring on cards is FUN!!! Using paint daubers, not so much.
- The part of the class I LIKED BEST, after viewing the days artists and new techniques, was seeing the creations of the class participants. I loved being linked to everyone's blogs and galleries. It was so much fun to see how everyone interpreted each days homework.
Well, I won't bore you with anymore. Thank you for stopping by!! Have a great rest of the weekend!!