Saturday, July 27, 2013

Summer Card Class II, Week 3, Day 3 Card

I have 3 days worth of homework from the Summer Card Class II to put up in separate posts so I am going to make this quick today.

Even though this was Day 3's homework, I created the card last night. I had a REALLY difficult time with this weeks color schemes. I also threw out about 6 cards-some half completed, some all the way completed-because I did not like how they came out. That is really rare for me!! I usually can make a card work but not this week!!

For the first card, I used the sketch #2, this weeks colors and took some elements that I liked from Shari Carrol's post and some from Melissa Phillip's card.


From Sherri's post, I decided to color in my flower, which I die cut out of an old book. I did not use Copic's like she used but instead used a combination of brown mist spray on the whole flower and then inked just the edges in dark purple ink. I also liked Sherri's trick of not winding the twine around the card when using it like this. It really does save on how much you use!!

I created the patterned background paper on this card myself. I stamped and embossed the leaves and then used an ink dauber for the blue and Kraft ink. I really like how it came out. I still am not a huge fan of embossing because of the mess but the results can be spectacular. The purple leaf element under the flower is also stamped in clear ink and embossed so that the purple color would stand out a bit more.



The idea that I took from Melissa's card was adding the Washi tape to the middle of the card, under the twine. I could not fix the color but that Washi tape is really more of a Kraft color then how it is showing up on screen. It was the perfect added touch to the card.

Things I learned from today's guest artists:

  • I am terrible at using paint daubers. My first card I created for this was complete but I threw it away. I tried Lisa Spangler's dauber technique across the front of my card (at the end of course) and I blew it. It looked awful. Since it was one of the last things I did, I had to throw it out. That will teach me!!
  • I really like die cutting and using fun things to color them in besides the actual stamp!!
  • Making patterned paper is FUN!!!


So that is my homework for day 3. Thank you for looking!!!

Nora

Supplies:
Dark Purple Ink-Stampin Up!




No comments: